Schmitz Hotel (1850) – D56
474 Main Plaza – This hotel has provided respite to Sam Houston, Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis and Teddy Roosevelt among others. The popular stage stop was originally a one-story building called the Guadalupe Hotel. It was also known as the Plaza Hotel for some time. Jacob Schmitz added the 2nd and 3rd floors in the 1870’s. A wooden crane was used on the third floor to lift up luggage. Now retail shops and apartments.