Main Plaza (1845), Fountain (1895) and Bandstand (1905) – D37
The Main Plaza was drawn into the original city plans in 1845. The fountain was added in 1895 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the founding of New Braunfels. High curbs were integrated into the fountain design to keep citizens from using it to water their horses. The Bandstand, first called the Music Pavilion, was built in 1905 with public donations. Paved in 1918, the lanes around Main Plaza accommodated two-way traffic for decades but were changed to one way in the 1950’s.