Communities (umliegende städte)
Anhalt located north of Highway 46. It was settled in the late 1850s and was first known as the Krause Settlement. It is now considered a ghost town.
Bracken located on the International & Great Northern Railroad about 13.5 miles southwest of New Braunfels– was originally called Davenport, and was settled in 1868.
Bulverde settled in 1850, was first called the Pieper Settlement and is located near the intersection of FM 1863 and Highway 281.
Buffalo Springs was a community that developed during the late 1840s to 1850s along the Guadalupe River Road, downstream from Sattler.
Comal dates back to the 1840s and is located near FM 482 and Old Nacogdoches Road. In 1980, the population was 40. Also known as Wenzel and 8-Mile Creek.
Comal Ranche founded in 1861, was a 5,324-acre area on the north bank of the Guadalupe River, south of Spring Branch.
Comal Town was first settled in 1846 and is in the area of the current CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Hospital – New Braunfels.
Danville is about eight miles southwest of New Braunfels, settled in 1848 by German farming families.
Dittlinger was a company town established by the Dittlinger Lime Company in 1907. It was located near Solms, four miles southwest of New Braunfels.
Fischer was settled in the early 1850s. It was originally called Fischer’s Store and served as a log trading post for settlers between Blanco and New Braunfels.
Freiheit German for “freedom ” – is located on FM 1101 at FM 483 just east of New Braunfels. It was founded around 1891 as the San Geronimo School community.
Gruene was founded and settled by German farmers in the mid-1840s. Ernst Gruene, a German immigrant, and his bride Antoinette had reached the newly established city of New Braunfels in 1845, but acreage was scarce. Thus, Ernst and his two sons purchased land just down river. His younger son, Henry D. Gruene, planted his land with cotton. Having become the number one cash crop, the cotton business soon brought 20 to 30 families to Henry D.’s lands. The death of Henry D. in 1920 marked the downfall of Gruene’s development and good fortune. In 1922, the original cotton gin burned and was replaced by a modern electric model down the road. Yet, the economic disasters of the boll weevil and the Great Depression were too much for the family businesses and they went under, except for Gruene Hall, which never closed. Gruene found new life in the 1970s, though, and today is equal parts sleepy village and widely popular tourist destination.
Honey Creek was originally called the Kunz Settlement around 1848. The site was approximately five miles northwest of Bulverde.
Hortontown was founded in 1847 in the area around St. Martin’s Evangelical Lutheran Church on Loop 337.
Hunter eleven miles northeast of New Braunfels, was named for A.J. Hunter, owner of a huge cotton plantation, who settled the area in 1867.
Mission Hill is located on Highway 46, west of Loop 337. It was named after the Spanish mission, Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, which is believed to have been founded there in 1756. The mission was abandoned in 1758.
Neighborsville was laid out in 1853 and includes the current location of the Faust Street Bridge. Schoenthal community began as Haag’s Settlement around 1851.
Sisterdale was founded by Captain Nicholas Zink in 1847. It is located in the Canyon Lake area, between East and West
Sister creeks, just north of the Guadalupe River.
Smithson Valley was settled by Ben Smithson in 1856. It is located 15 miles northwest of New Braunfels.
Solms was founded in the late 1840s, south of New Braunfels. It was originally called Four Mile Creek for the nearby stream with the same name.
Ufnau was a tiny settlement of Swiss immigrants who named the community after their native Ufnau, Switzerland, around 1858. It is near Anhalt, west of the intersection of Highway 281 and Highway 46.
View was originally called Austin Hill when settlers purchased land in the area in the 1850s. It was located north of New Braunfels at Watson Lane.
Waco (hueco) Springs was established in 1847, two miles from the intersection of Loop 337 and River Road.
Wesson probably had the most name changes of any Texas town. It was located where FM 311 crosses the Guadalupe River 19 miles northwest of New Braunfels.